In January 2019
- We provided information and referrals to 34,932 people to help them resolve their legal problem.
- 4068 people received early intervention services such as receiving legal advice and minor assistance from our lawyers over the phone, via videoconference or face-to-face at one of our offices.
- We provided dispute resolution services to 361 people to help ex-partners work out their family law problems without going to court.
- Our criminal law duty lawyers guided 6310 adults through their appearance in the Magistrates Courts.
- 484 children were represented by our duty lawyers in the Childrens Courts.
- Our family law duty lawyers helped 89 unrepresented people get through their day in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for 222 children and adults to be represented by lawyers in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for lawyers to defend 2151 people charged with criminal offences.
- We helped ensure decisions made in 129 child protection proceedings were in the best interests of the children involved.
These statistics are reported in line with the National Partnership Agreement on Legal Assistance Services.
*The number of people = the number of matters.
Media contact: Miranda Greer or Amanda Catania (07) 3917 0407