In April 2018...
- 3419 people received early intervention services such as receiving legal advice and minor assistance from our lawyers over the phone, via videoconference or face-to-face at one of our offices.
- We provided dispute resolution services to 353 people to help couples work out their family law problems without going to court.
- Our duty lawyers guided 7104 adults through their appearance in the magistrates courts.
- 595 children were represented by our duty lawyers in the childrens courts.
- Our family law duty lawyers helped 219 unrepresented people get through their day in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for 206 children and adults to be represented by lawyers in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for lawyers to defend 1802 people charged with criminal offences.
- We helped ensure decisions made in 114 child protection proceedings were in the best interests of the children involved.
- Our consumer protection lawyers helped 439 people sort out their money problems.
These statistics are reported in line with the National Partnership Agreement on Legal Assistance Services.
*The number of people = the number of matters.
Media contact: Miranda Greer or Amanda Catania (07) 3917 0407