In October 2017...
- 4197 people received early intervention services such as receiving legal advice and minor assistance from our lawyers over the phone, via videoconference or face-to-face at one of our offices.
- We provided dispute resolution services to 340 people to help couples work out their family law problems without going to court.
- Our duty lawyers guided 6514 adults through their appearance in the magistrates courts.
- 405 children were represented by our duty lawyers in the childrens courts.
- Our family law duty lawyers helped 272 unrepresented people get through their day in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for 255 children and adults to be represented by lawyers in the family law courts.
- We approved aid for lawyers to defend 2096 people charged with criminal offences.
- We helped ensure decisions made in 108 child protection proceedings were in the best interests of the children involved.
- Our consumer protection lawyers helped 504 people sort out their money problems.
These statistics are reported in line with the National Partnership Agreement on Legal Assistance Services.
*The number of people = the number of matters.
Media contact: Miranda Greer or Amanda Catania (07) 3917 0407