Main Content Anchor

Powers of attorney

We don't give advice about this area of law

The information below may help you to resolve your matter or find out who else can help. 

Powers of attorney can be prepared either through:

For more information visit:

We don’t give legal advice about preparing powers of attorney or advanced health directives and we can’t sign or witness these documents.

The Queensland Law Society can refer you to a specialist private lawyer practising in this area of law.

How to get legal advice

The following services may be able to help.

Hub Community Legal gives legal advice on powers of attorney.

Aged and Disability Advocacy Australia has information and advocacy services for guardianship and administration matters. They can also help adults with legal capacity issues with Queensland Civil Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) processes and help recipients of aged care or community care services to resolve service related matters.

LawRight Self Representation Service (QCAT) gives legal advice and helps people at the QCAT for matters including powers of attorney. They can give advice about other options to resolve your dispute. This service may also help with drafting documents and correspondence relating to your legal matter with QCAT. They don’t provide representation.

Interstate Law Societies can refer you to specialist private lawyers in other states for advice

Who else can help?

The following organisations may be able to help. They don’t give legal advice.

Public Trustee can help with the preparation of enduring power of attorney and general power of attorney.

Enduring power of attorney information line is a free and confidential service provided by the Public Trustee's EPA unit (no legal advice).

Consumer law reform association gives general information on power of attorney.

Office of the Public Guardian can investigate abuse of power of attorney where the donor is unable to do so because of impaired mental capacity.

Related links and information
Back to top