Main Content Anchor

Natural disaster legal help

We can help if you’ve been affected by a bushfire, cyclone, storm, flood or other severe weather or natural disaster.

Call our natural disaster legal help line on 1300 004 924 to get help with issues you may face when your property has been damaged by a natural disaster or severe weather.

We also have factsheets and guides available giving you information about making an insurance claim after a natural disaster or severe weather.

Cyclones, floods and storms

Our “When disaster strikes—cyclones, storms and floods guide” helps Queenslanders with their insurance claims after a storm, cyclone or flood. It gives information on home building and contents insurance policies. It doesn’t give information on other types of insurance such as motor vehicle insurance policies.

disaster-strikes-thumb.jpg   Print version: When disaster strikes - cyclones, storms and floods
Please note: this publication is only available online.


Our  “Bushfires and insurance claims” factsheet outlines the process for making an insurance claim and explains your legal rights if your home or property has been damaged by a bushfire.

bushfire factsheet   Print version: Bushfires and insurance claims

Please note: this publication is only available online.

Legal information factsheets

Note: Some of these publications are currently being updated.

If you need advice about your insurance claim, call our natural disaster legal help line on 1300 004 924.


Property (including rentals and tenancy)

Services and utilities


Debt and financial problems


Who else can help?

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

Note: The Financial Ombudsman Service has stopped operation. Complaints about insurance claims are now handled by the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). Please call 1800 931 678 or visit  

For 12 months starting 1 July 2019, the AFCA’s jurisdiction will be expanded to allow them to consider previously unheard disputes falling within its terms of reference relating to conduct dating back to 1 January 2008.

Other contacts

  • Landlords in tenancy-related matters—The REIQ is offering a specialist flood hotline for landlords for 30 days—contact 1300 697 347
  • Body corporates—contact the BCCM Information and Community Education Unit on 1800 060 119
  • Business about commercial and business matters—North Queensland Business Centre is running a Small Business Recovery—contact 1300 654 89
  • Hardship assistance from banks—visit the Australian Bankers Association website at
  • Emergency hardship assistance—apply online via the Community recovery portalor phone 1800 173 349


Back to top