For free flood and cyclone legal information and advice call 1300 650 143.
When disaster strikes — cyclones, storms and floods. A guide to getting your insurance claim paid.
This guide helps Queenslanders with their insurance claims after a storm, cyclone or flood. It gives advice on home building and contents insurance policies — it doesn’t give advice on other types of insurance such as motor vehicle insurance policies.
Print version: When disaster strikes - cyclones, storms and floods
Please note: this publication is only available online.
- Need help getting an insurance claim paid?
- Are you a tenant affected by the floods?(PDF, 279KB)
- Important legal issues for franchisors to consider in times of a natural disaster
- Has your electricity, gas, or water supply, or your telephone or internet service been affected by the floods(PDF, 277KB)?(PDF, 277KB)
- Having trouble paying your debts?(PDF, 303KB)
- Employment issues(PDF, 292KB)
- Property contracts(PDF, 303KB)
- Small business(PDF, 274KB)
- Commercial and retail leases(PDF, 279KB)
- Consumer protection issues(PDF, 277KB)
- My car has been damaged by a flood or cyclone — what do I need to know?(PDF, 649KB)
Free legal information and advice for Queensland flood and cyclone victims
March 5, 2015
Community service announcement
For immediate release
Residents from Yeppoon, Rockhampton, Gympie, Biloela and other flood and cyclone-affected areas in central and southern Queensland can access free legal information and advice relevant to their circumstances from Legal Aid Queensland.
“People affected by natural disasters often have a range of legal issues to deal with such as property or car damage, insurance, tenancy issues, debt, employment and access to electricity and other services damaged by floods and cyclones,“ Legal Aid Queensland Chief Executive Officer Anthony Reilly said.
“People can contact Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 650 143 (for the cost of a local call from a landline in Australia) to get free legal information and advice, or to be referred to another organisation who can assist with their problem.”
Flood and cyclone victims can also access a range of free factsheets and resources on the Flood and Cyclone Legal Help website www.floodlegalhelp.qld.gov.au, including a guide to assist people with their insurance claims.
To access Legal Aid Queensland’s flood and cyclone legal information and advice services call 1300 650 143 or visit www.floodlegalhelp.qld.gov.au
Amanda Catania Ph: (07) 3238 3004 or
Katherine Gorter on (07) 3238 3301