Main Content Anchor
SERVICES AND AREAS OF LAW
Legal advice including:
- Motor vehicle property damage
- Consumer disputes
- Insurance disputes
- Neighbour issues (dividing fences and trees)
- Wills and estates
- Some traffic matters
- Contracts and debts
- Civil disputes (including defamation)
- Right to information and information privacy.
Social Security Rights Service
TCLS can help you to:
- Access your Department of Human Services (Centrelink) files using Freedom of Information legislation
- Appeal decisions made by the Department of Human Services
- In some circumstances, represent you in the the Administrative Appeals Tribunal or the Federal Court.
Family Violence Migration Legal Service
TCLS has Registered Migration Agents and lawyers who can provide advice and assistance in migration matters involving family and domestic violence.
Seniors Legal and Support Service
The service provides free legal and support services for seniors who are experiencing, witnessing or concerned about elder abuse, mistreatment or financial exploitation. The Seniors Legal and Support Service cannot assist in all areas of law. They cannot prepare wills or powers of attorney or provide advice on real estate, financial or investment planning. If you are unable to visit their office, the service can usually arrange a telephone consultation or a meeting at your home if you live in the Townsville area.
Family law service
The service can give you family law advice and, in limited circumstances, provide further assistance with your family law matter. The service is also a Family Advocacy and Support Service duty lawyer in partnership with Legal Aid Queensland. This duty lawyer service is only available to parties with a family law matter in the Federal Circuit Court duty list or through Registry referral to the Legal Aid Queensland FASS intake worker. If you have a matter in the Federal Circuit Court duty list, please speak with Legal Aid Queensland's FASS intake worker.
Coronial Assistance Legal Service
- provides legal advice about the coronial process
- can provide representation for bereaved family members appearing in some inquests when the matter fits within their service guidelines
- works with other service providers to help families connect with social work, counselling and other support services.
This service can't assist with legal issues involving:
- Mortgage certification
- Native title advice and services
- Personal injuries
- businesses / commercial matters, including commercial litigation and employment law issues
- Advice or assistance to landlords