Skip to main content
Sign In
Flood legal help for Queenslanders Call 1300 65 11 88 for free legal information and advice



Other help available 

Queensland Government

Visit the Queensland Government website for up-to-date information about the Queensland floods.

Flood Commission of Inquiry

The Queensland government has established an independent Commission of Inquiry to examine the flood disaster. The inquiry terms of reference provide for an independent and thorough examination of the chain of events leading to the floods, all aspects of the response and the subsequent aftermath of the 2010-11 flood events.

Financial Ombudsman Service
Floods Hotline: 1800 337 444

Contact the Financial Ombudsman Service for help and information on financial hardship, insurance claims and other financial issues experienced as a result of the floods.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman
Ph: 1800 062 058

Contact the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman if you have you been affected by the floods and have a complaint you cannot resolve with your telephone or internet service provider.

Energy and Water Ombudsman
Ph: 1300 300 993

Contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman if you have a complaint you cannot resolve with your energy supplier.

Family Law Courts

Ph: 1300 352 000
Visit your nearest family law registry

Contact the Family Law Courts if your documents were destroyed by the floods. You can apply for replacement documents free of charge. Read more...

Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

Ph: 1300 366 430
Visit your local courthouse or Queensland Government Agent Program office

Contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages if you have lost important certificates, such as birth, death, marriage or change-of-name, as a result of the floods. You can apply for replacement certificates free of charge.

Australian Passport Office
Ph: 131 232

Contact the Australian Passport Office if your passport has been lost, damaged or destroyed as a result of the floods. You can apply for a new passport free of charge.

State Penalties Enforcement Registry

Ph: 1300 365 635

Contact the State Penalties Enforcement Registry if you have been affected by the floods and you have outstanding fines with SPER you want to temporarily suspend. You can apply to have enforcement action suspended until the end of March 2011, with the possibility of extension depending on future weather events.

Department of Transport and Main Roads

Ph: 13 23 80
Visit your local customer service centre or Queensland Government Agent Program office

Residents and communities impacted by the floods can access the following:

  1. Option for three, six or 12 month registration period with no surcharge
  2. Exemption from a fee for paying registration late
  3. Option to extend dormant seasonal vehicle registration period up to two years
  4. Options for fodder transport
  5. Extending time for certificates of inspection for heavy vehicles including public transport vehicles
  6. Free replacement of lost and/or damaged driver licences
  7. Options for lost or damaged infringement notices.

Read more… (PDF - 62 KB) 

Office of Fair Trading
Ph: 137468

The Office of Fair Trading is warning residents and businesses to be on guard for dodgy traders’ tricks following the floods. Read more… (PDF - 68 KB) 

Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation

Visit the Business and Industry website for information about assistance available for primary producers and small business affected by the floods. Read more... (PDF - 100 KB)

Coronial investigations

If a person has died as a result of the floods, the coroner will need to undertake a coronial investigation. Read more...

Body corporate and community management

Ph: 1800 060 119

Contact Body corporate and community management for body corporate information concerning flood issues. Read more...

Residential Tenancies Authority
Ph: 1300 366 311

Contact the Residential Tenancies Authority for information for tenants, lessors (landlords), agents and managers.Read more...

Building Services Authority Disaster Recovery
Ph: 1300 272 272

Contact the BSA for technical and general advice on a wide range of rebuilding issues. Read more...

Ph: 180 22 66

Special arrangements have been put in place for job seekers affected by the floods who are on income support payments such as Newstart, Youth Allowance or Parenting Payment. Read more...

Insurance Law Service
Ph: 1300 663 464

Contact the Insurance Law Service if you need insurance law information and advice or a referral to another service. Read more...

Workplace Health and Safety Queensland

Flood and storm safety information

Visit the Workplace Health and Safety Queensland website for information on safety precautions for flood and storm recovery efforts. Read more...

Bar Association of Queensland

The Bar Association of Queensland is providing referral and mediation services for people affected by the Queensland floods. All requests for assistance should be directed to the Bar Association of Queensland on:

Queensland Legal Assistance Forum

Legal Aid Queensland

Queensland Law Society

Bar Association of Queensland Queensland Association of Independent Legal Services Inc.

Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Legal Service (Qld) Ltd

Queensland Public Interest Law Clearing House

Queensland Government

Last modified: 22 March 2011 4:20PM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Other help available