Legal Aid Queensland

Dividing your property

Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Legal information > Relationships & children > Dividing your property > Protecting your property

Protecting your property 

Legal Information

Does it matter if we were not married?

No. The law has changed. If you are a de facto (including same-sex) couple you are now able to apply for a property settlement and/or spousal maintenance under the Family Law Act.

How can I protect my property?

Keep track of all assets and debts until financial arrangements are complete. You may want to take photographs, and other records.

It may be possible to have a caveat put on a property title. A caveat is a warning to other people that you have an interest in the property. The rules for caveats are different in each state and territory, so get legal advice.

You can also get court orders (injunctions) to stop property being sold or money being spent. Act quickly and get legal advice.

If you believe your ex-partner will sell, transfer or give away or has already got rid of property that you believe you have a right to then take action immediately. You may be able to get an injunction from the court to stop property being sold. If it was sold, you may be able to get an order 'freezing' the sale money. Freezing means that the sale money cannot be withdrawn or used by anyone. Bank accounts and other cash resources may also be frozen in other situations.

Court orders about third parties

The courts can make orders and injunctions that affect third parties. A third party is anyone who is not part of a marriage and can include organisations. For example, a court could make an order to stop a bank from selling a house or transfer responsibility for a debt from one partner to the other. The third party must have been told about the application before this can happen.

The Family Law Rules sets out that a third party must be included in an application and served (given) all the documents relating to the case – even when the other two parties agree to the orders. The third party can then agree or disagree with the application and be involved in the case.


The family law courts can hear bankruptcy proceedings at the same time as a family law property or spousal maintenance case. This applies whether a person is bankrupt at the start or becomes bankrupt during the case.

You must tell the court and each person involved in your family law or spousal maintenance property case if you are bankrupt or in a personal insolvency agreement (or if either of these things happens during your case).

If property or spousal maintenance is being decided and there is bankruptcy, the court will also include the bankruptcy trustee in the case. This happens when the court is satisfied bankruptcy creditors will be affected by property or spousal maintenance orders being made. The competing rights of the creditors and the non-bankrupt spouse will be decided by the court.

This is a difficult area of law so get legal advice before signing any agreements or if you are in any of these situations.

De facto relationships

If you were separated before March 2009, get legal advice about property settlement as de facto relationships were then covered by Queensland law.

Acknowledgement – Prepared using fact sheets which are copyright to the Commonwealth of Australia and National Legal Aid.

Back to top

Do I need legal advice?

You may need legal advice if

  • you believe your ex-partner will sell, transfer or give away, or has already got rid of property you believe you have a right to
  • you or your ex-partner are bankrupt or in a personal insolvency agreement
  • you are considering signing any kind of agreement in relation to your property.
Back to top

Where can I get legal advice

Legal Aid Queensland may provide legal advice on protecting your property. We cannot tell you an amount of property you will receive in a settlement, or draft, sign or witness any documents, but we may explain the process of how a property settlement is reached.

The following organisations may also be able to give legal advice on your matter.

Community legal centres give legal advice on a range of topics. Contact them to see if they can help with your matter.

Queensland Law Society can refer you to a specialist private solicitor for advice or representation.

Back to top

Who else can help?

These organisations may also be able to assist with your matter. They do not provide legal advice.

Family Relationship Advice Line provides information about the family law system in Australia.

Family Relationship Centres provide information, referrals, dispute resolution and advice on parenting after separation.

Family Court deals with family law cases. Court forms and information on family court processes are accessible from their website.

Federal Circuit Court look after matters including family law, child support and divorce. Court forms and information about court processes are available from their website.

Back to top

Disclaimer - Copyright © 1997 Legal Aid Queensland. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should seek legal advice from a lawyer. Legal Aid Queensland believes the information is accurate as at 10 October 2011 but accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions and denies all liability for any expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur due to the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way.

Last modified: 1 September 2015 11:54AM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Protecting your property