Legal Aid Queensland

Getting legal assistance

Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Legal information > Getting legal assistance > Where to get help

Where to get help 

On this page:

We have lawyers who can talk to you about how the law applies to your legal problem and what you may be able to do about it. Call 1300 65 11 88 for the cost of a local call from a landline in Australia, to find out if we can help you with your legal problem.

Who can get legal advice?

We focus on giving legal advice to people who:

  • are financially and socially disadvantaged
  • have no access to private legal advice or representation
  • don’t have any other way to get legal help.

We may give free legal advice in:

Criminal law

  • Criminal charges in magistrates, district or supreme courts
  • Youth justice
  • Traffic matters

Family law

Civil law

We may be able to give you limited legal information or refer you to another lawyer or service if you need help with other legal matters. Find out by calling 1300 65 11 88 for the cost of a local call from a landline in Australia.

We cannot advise you on:

  • commercial transactions or dealings with real estate
  • personal injury
  • will making/preparing powers of attorney
  • taxation and superannuation
  • planning and environmental law
  • local government matters or
  • matters where you're representing a company, business, club or association.

Do I have to pay for legal advice?

There is no charge for legal advice provided by our experienced lawyers.

Where and how do I get legal advice?

Our lawyers give legal advice at locations across Queensland, including:

  • all Legal Aid Queensland offices
  • at various courts, community centres and other outreach locations
  • at many prisons and juvenile detention centres.

Our lawyers can give legal advice:

  • by telephone
  • in person
  • by video conference.

Do I have to call LAQ first or can I just turn up at a LAQ office?

Most of our legal advice services are available by appointment only. It is best if you call and talk to us about times when a lawyer will be available to give you advice about your matter. If you call us, we will direct you to an appropriate service to assist you.

Can I get an interpreter or other help to communicate?

Yes, and it is free. Legal words are sometimes hard to understand. If you would like to have an interpreter to help you, tell us when you call us.

You can call TIS (Translating and Interpreting Service) on 13 14 50 and they will help you to speak with us over the phone.

Auslan interpreters and assistance via relay services are also available.

Call TTY service on (07) 3238 3023 if you are hearing or speech impaired.

What do I need to do before seeing a lawyer?

  • Work out what you want help with. You will only have limited time with the lawyer.
  • You must collect and bring whatever paperwork is relevant to your problem. For example, your summons, court orders, letters from a government agency.
  • Let us know if you need an interpreter so we can arrange this for you.
  • Find out where you need to go, so you turn up on time.
  • Make sure you have enough time. You may need to wait a bit before seeing a lawyer.

You can bring a person for support, but the lawyer may also want to speak with you alone.

How long will I get to spend with the lawyer?

Your time with the lawyer is limited to 30 minutes. Our lawyers will ask questions, assess your problem and advise you on how you might be able to resolve your legal problem and the next steps to take. More time with a lawyer may be available for people with special circumstances, such as if you need an interpreter.

What if I need more help?

If you need more legal help because your matter is complex and/or there is a large amount of paperwork, you may be able to apply for a grant of legal aid for a lawyer to run your case. We can help you fill in the application form.

If you are unsure whether we can assist you, please speak with a Customer Service Officer. We may be able to refer you to another service.

Disclaimer - Copyright © 1997 Legal Aid Queensland. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should seek legal advice from a lawyer. Legal Aid Queensland believes the information is accurate as at 10 October 2011 but accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions and denies all liability for any expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur due to the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way.

Last modified: 26 May 2015 11:09AM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Where to get help