Legal Aid Queensland

Taking care of other people's affairs

Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Legal information > Living in the community > Taking care of other people's affairs > Medical consent

Medical consent 

Legal Information

What is medical consent?

Registered doctors cannot treat a patient without valid agreement (called consent) from the patient.

A person over 18 can consent to or refuse medical treatment if they can understand the practitioner's information about the proposed treatment and can make reasonable choices based on this information. This is called capacity. If a person lacks this capacity another person must make decisions on their behalf.

For children under 18, the law gives a parent or guardian the authority to agree to treatment in most cases.  A child  may make decisions about their own medical treatment if they are capable of understanding its significance.

When can somebody consent to medical treatment on my behalf?

  • When there is an Enduring Power of Attorney authorising someone to make a medical decision on your behalf.
  • When you have made an Advance Health Directive. An Advance Health Directive (sometimes called a "living will") is a document in which you give instructions about your future health care. It becomes effective only if you become incapable of making your own decisions sometime in the future. It must be in an approved form and clearly state what type of treatment you wish to have or not have or if you have any specific instructions about treatments, medical conditions, religious, spiritual or cultural beliefs. Forms can be downloaded for free from the Department of Justice website.
  • When you have a Statutory Health Attorney. If you have not made an Advanced Health Directive or appointed someone under an Enduring Power of Attorney to look after your health matters and you become unable to make your own decisions, for example you are unconscious in hospital or suffer a brain injury, then the law allows certain people to make some decisions about your health for you. They are called a Statutory Health Attorney.

    The sorts of people who can be a statutory health attorney are:
    • a spouse
    • your carer, but not a paid carer (although your carer may receive a carer’s pension)
    • a close adult friend or relative who is not a paid carer
    • the Public Guardian where there is no one else to act.

Related publications

Information about Advance Health Directives and Statutory Health Directives is available from the Queensland Government website.

Is consent enough?

There are some health decisions a statutory health attorney may not make for you. If you do not have an Advanced Health Directive or an Enduring Power of Attorney in relation to these issues then the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) has to consent to the procedures. These procedures are called special medical procedures and are:

  • tissue donation (permission for organ transplants cannot be given while the adult is alive)
  • sterilisation (vasectomy, tubal ligation or hysterectomy)
  • termination of pregnancy, or
  • special medical research or experimental health care.

You may need to get the court to agree to medical treatment that permanently affects the quality of life. These treatments are called special medical procedures and include:

  • sterilising a child who has a significant intellectual disability
  • organ donation when a child is unable to give informed consent
  • medical practitioners recommending life saving treatment but parents or guardians refuse to agree to the treatment, eg parents refuse for child to be put on life support
  • parents or guardians disagree about significant, recommended treatment
  • sensitive or ethically controversial issues eg gender needs to be decided for a child born with both genitalia
  • treatment refused in a life-threatening situation eg child suffers anorexia nervosa and refuses treatment.

Who can apply for a special medical procedure court order?

For children, courts consider requests from:

  • parent(s)
  • a person authorised by a parenting order
  • a child
  • an independent children's lawyer
  • anyone concerned with care, welfare and development of a child.

For adults, the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT):

  • can consider requests from the adult themselves or another interested person
  • can decide who is an appropriately interested person

This area of law is complex and before going to court you should get legal advice.

Back to top

Do I need legal advice?

You may need legal advice if you are considering making a request to court or to QCAT for a special medical procedure court order.

Back to top

Where can I get legal advice

Legal Aid Queensland may provide legal advice on matters relating to medical consent.
We cannot give advice about statutory health authorities, advance health directives or preparing powers of attorney.

If you need advice about any of the issues Legal Aid Queensland can't help you with, you should speak to a private lawyer who practices in this area of law.

Queensland Aged and Disability Advocacy provides information and advocacy in relation to guardianship and administration matters, assists adults with capacity issues with QCAT processes and assists recipients of aged care or community care services to resolve service related matters.

QPILCH Self Representation Service (QCAT) provide legal advice and assistance to people at the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal for matters including guardianship, powers of attorney and child protection, and can give advice about other options to resolve your dispute. The service may also help with drafting documents and correspondence relating to your legal matter with QCAT. They do not provide representation.

Queensland Law Society can refer you to a specialist private solicitor for advice or representation.

Back to top

Who else can help?

The following organisations may be able to help you with your matter. They do not provide legal advice.

Office of the Public Guardian can make health care decisions for an adult if they are appointed as their guardian.

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) can appoint a guardian for adults with impaired mental capacity, and can make decisions on special health care matters beyond the powers of a guardian.

Queensland Community Care Services help people aged under 65 years (and their unpaid carers) who have a moderate disability or a condition which restricts their ability to carry out activities of daily living. Assistance is available for community and social support as well as in the home. 

Back to top

Disclaimer - Copyright © 1997 Legal Aid Queensland. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should seek legal advice from a lawyer. Legal Aid Queensland believes the information is accurate as at 1 December 2009 but accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions and denies all liability for any expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur due to the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way.

Last modified: 7 May 2015 11:35AM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Medical consent