Legal Aid Queensland


Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Legal information > The justice system > Offences > Personal safety

Personal safety 

Legal Information

The Queensland Police Service (QPS) has many leaflets advising you on how to keep yourself and your property safe. You can download these from the web or pick one up from a police station.

Can I protect myself or my property without breaking the law?

In some cases the law allows people to do things which would be illegal if it wasn't to protect themselves or their property. Some examples are:

  • Citizen's arrest

    You may, in limited circumstances, arrest someone who you find committing an offence or who you reasonably suspect has committed an offence. You should hand that person over to the police without delay. Be warned though that you risk legal action for wrongful arrest, false imprisonment or assault if you go over the limited legal authority you have and you should get legal advice if you make a citizen's arrest.

  • Self defence

    If you are unlawfully assaulted you can use such force that is reasonably necessary to prevent the assault from happening or continuing. You can use this defence even where the assault was provoked, but only in limited circumstances. If you acted in good faith or you came to the aid of someone else who was being attacked, you can also argue self defence.

  • Provocation

    You are not criminally responsible for an assault on another person when you have been provoked. The provocation must:

    • be an action, word or gesture that is likely to cause a reasonable person to lose control
    • be directed either to you or to someone who you have a close relationship with e.g. spouse, child, girlfriend, boyfriend, parent. The force used by you responding to the provocation must be reasonable considering the provocation and must not be intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm. The reaction to the provocation must be immediate in that there was no time to regain personal self-control.

Protecting property

You may use reasonable force to prevent someone unlawfully entering or remaining in your dwelling (including a caravan, tent and in some cases holiday accommodation). It is up to a court to decide whether the force used was reasonable. Reasonable force does not include setting traps for intruders and you may be liable for injury caused to another person on their property even if that person is a trespasser. You should get legal advice.

    Back to top

    Do I need legal advice?

    You may need legal advice if you

    • have attempted a citizen's arrest
    • have used force against another person on your property and the person was injured
    • have been charged with an offence and are going to court.
    Back to top

    Where can I get legal advice

    Legal Aid Queensland may give legal advice about personal safety and related issues. We cannot give legal advice about personal injury.

    If you need legal advice about a personal injury, contact a private solicitor who specialises in that area of law.

    These organisations may also give you legal advice.

    Community legal centres give legal advice on a range of topics, but do not give advice about personal injury. Contact them to see if they can help with your matter.

    Queensland Law Society can refer you to a specialist private solicitor for advice or representation, including lawyers who specialise in personal injury.

    Back to top

    Who else can help?

    These organisations may also be able to help with your matter. They do not provide legal advice.

    Queensland Police Service provide general information about their personal safety program, including information about protecting yourself in the event of confrontations in the home, workplace, in public, and other situational advice.

    Queensland Council for Civil Liberties is a voluntary organisation concerned with the protection of individual rights and civil liberties.

    Back to top

    Disclaimer - Copyright © 1997 Legal Aid Queensland. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should seek legal advice from a lawyer. Legal Aid Queensland believes the information is accurate as at 1 July 2007 but accepts no responsibility for any errors or omissions and denies all liability for any expenses, losses, damages and costs you might incur due to the information being inaccurate or incomplete in any way.

    Last modified: 25 August 2015 9:45AM
    Page Contact:

    Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
    © Legal Aid Queensland 2006

    Personal safety