Legal Aid Queensland


Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Publications > Factsheets and guides > Factsheets > Need help sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company?

Need help sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company? 

On this page:

thumbnail image

Talk to an advice lawyer about your rights and options when sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company.

Print version:

PDF icon Need help sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company? (PDF, 299 KB)

How can Legal Aid Queensland help me?

Legal Aid Queensland provides a free telephone information, legal advice and referral service for rural land occupiers contacted by mining or gas companies.

If you are a farmer or rural landholder, we can provide you with legal advice about issues connected with mining, mineral exploration, gas and oil exploration and production, gas and oil pipelines, fossicking and similar activities like quarrying and infrastructure development.

We provide legal advice by telephone or in person at our Brisbane office.

For more information, contact Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 65 11 88 (for the cost of a local call from a landline).

Can a legal aid lawyer represent me in court or help with conveyancing?

No. Our lawyers cannot act for people in court proceedings with mining or gas companies or help with conveyancing. They can give you general legal advice about court proceedings and will refer you to private lawyers who may help you with writing and responding to letters, examining and preparing documents, and conducting negotiations and or mediations on your behalf.

Legal aid is not available for dealing with gas or mining disputes. If you employ a private lawyer you will have to pay their professional costs and outlays, which may include land title and tenure searches, valuations and consultants’ fees.

Can you organise an interpreter?

Yes, we can organise for an accredited interpreter to help you. If you would like this factsheet explained in your language, please phone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50 to speak to an interpreter. Ask them to connect you to Legal Aid Queensland. This is a free service.

We can also organise an accredited interpreter to help you during your legal advice appointment. When you make your legal advice booking please tell the client information officer which language you need.

What if I have a hearing or speech impairment?

If you have a hearing or speech impairment, please call the TTY service on (07) 3238 3023. This is a free service.

How do I provide feedback or make a complaint?

Your feedback — complaints, compliments and suggestions — is welcome and we take it seriously.

To make a comment about the service you received from Legal Aid Queensland, you can complete our client feedback form. The form is available from your local Legal Aid office and our website.

You can also give us feedback by writing to us at GPO Box 2449, Brisbane, Q 4001 calling 1300 65 11 88 and talking to our staff, or emailing

Last modified: 8 January 2014 6:48PM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Need help sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company?