Legal Aid Queensland


Go Search
Legal information
Media centre
About us
Skip Navigation LinksHome > Publications > Factsheets and guides > Factsheets > Need help with your family dispute resolution conference agreement?

Need help with your family dispute resolution conference agreement? 

thumbnail image

After you reach an agreement at a family dispute resolution conference, you may need help to understand what you need to do or how to make your agreement work. This factsheet will help answer any questions you may have.

Print version:

PDF icon Need help with your family dispute resolution conference agreement? (PDF, 331 KB)

On this page:

The aim of the conference resolution support intervention (CRSI) is to explain the agreement and give you information to make your agreement work.

Why have a conference resolution support intervention (CRSI)?

This session gives you a chance to talk with a qualified social worker about issues that will help make the agreement work.

The social worker cannot change the agreement reached at the family dispute resolution conference.

The social worker can help you by:

  • giving information to help you make your agreement work
  • offering referrals to other groups or agencies that may be able to help you
  • explaining your agreement and how it will affect you and your children.

Is it confidential?

Yes, issues discussed during a session are confidential. But information that affects your children’s or other people’s safety cannot be kept secret.

How should I prepare for it?

To make the most of your session you should:

  • think about your agreement and the things you need to do to make it work
  • write down any questions you have for the social worker so you don’t forget to ask
  • think about who else may need to talk with the social worker and have their contact details available. This will only be necessary if someone else is involved in the agreement.

The social worker only has a limited amount of time for your session and may only be able to discuss things with you once.

Who will be involved?

  • you
  • the other people from the family dispute resolution conference
  • another person mentioned in the agreement
  • the social worker.

Your solicitor and children cannot participate.

Where is it held?

In most cases the session will happen over the telephone. You will need to have access to a landline phone (not a mobile phone) for the session.

Your social worker will contact you to arrange a suitable date and time.

How long will it take?

This will depend on your case. It usually won’t be more than one hour. When the social worker makes arrangements for your session, they can give you a more detailed estimate about how long it will take.

What if I have a domestic violence protection order?

If you have a domestic violence protection order, we will give a copy to the social worker. The social worker will make sure the session meets your order’s conditions.

If you have not previously given us a copy of your order, you should do so now.

What happens after?

The social worker will give us a confidential report outlining the help given and issues discussed. The report is a brief outline only; specifics are not reported to us.

What if I need an interpreter?

Please let us know if you need an interpreter. We will then arrange and pay for an interpreter for your session.

Last modified: 26 September 2013 1:03PM
Page Contact:

Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy | Access keys | Other languages
© Legal Aid Queensland 2006

Need help with your family dispute resolution conference agreement?