What we do
The Child Support Unit (CSU) is a small specialist unit of the legal practice of Legal Aid Queensland. The CSU was established in October 1990 to provide legal services to parents and carers of children on child support issues. The unit is comprised of two teams, the Information team and the casework team.
CSU can provide you with information and help to solve problems relating to the child support scheme. Our services are free and confidential and include:
- child support forums for parents and carers of children
- telephone information for parents all over Queensland
- telephone legal advice
- legal information guides
- help with locating the other party
- help with service of documents on the other party
- paternity testing for carer parents
- paternity testing for liable parents
- help with letters and documents for court
- help with settlement negotiations
- court representation, in some cases
- overseas maintenance matters.
Who we assist
- Parents, grandparents etc with children in their care.
- Liable parents, responsible for supporting children not living with them.
CSU is committed to:
- providing quality child support legal services
- working to change Government policy and legislation to provide greater equity for parents and carers of children
- providing self-help material and support wherever possible and empowering parents to take action on their own behalf
- research and the provision of new and innovative self-help materials in response to community needs
- providing community education programs
- providing training and advice to community agencies and to develop partnerships to promote a better deal for parents
If you have any questions about child support or related issues, ie. paternity, contact us on 1300 65 11 88.
CSU vision statement
To provide innovative, professional and cost effective child support services in Queensland.
Liable parent project
Legal Aid Queensland also has a separate service to assist liable parents with child support and related issues.
Child Support Agency
The Child Support Agency deals with the recovery of child support in most cases. You can contact them direct on 13 12 72 or if your inquiry is about enforcement, visit their website.