What is the Farm and Rural Legal Service?
The Farm and Rural Legal Service gives help and advice to Queensland rural producers who have severe debt related problems, are in dispute with their lenders, or are facing financial hardship relating to their business of primary production.
The Farm and Rural Legal Service lawyer travels throughout Queensland to the most remote locations to give legal advice. The service helps rural producers on the farm, at a venue of the farmer's choice, at the local Legal Aid Queensland office or by telephone.
Farm and Rural Legal Service—2015-16 Financial year
For the 2015-16 financial year (1 July 2015-30 June 2016) the Farm and Rural Legal Service will also offer legal help through 3 private law firms in central and north Queensland.
How can the Farm and Rural Legal Service help?
If you're a Queensland rural producer confronted with severe debt-related problems the Farm and Rural Legal Service can give advice on:
- legal documents
- legal processes
- legal options
- all Queensland and Commonwealth laws
- the conduct and actions of other parties.
The service can help with, or by:
- writing letters on your behalf
- giving written opinions
- negotiating on your behalf
- mediating in disputes
- completing documents
- referring you to other agencies for help.
The service lawyer will:
- work with other advisors, such as rural counsellors, your accountant and private legal advisor
- advocate for rural producers
- address meetings on issues of current topical interest to rural producers as a part of community education
- make submissions on legal issues relating to the rural sector
- review submissions made on rural legal issues
- during the 2015-16 financial year, refer some requests for legal help to 3 private law firms in central and north Queensland (which are funded by Legal Aid Queensland to help with bank mediations in rural debt matters).
Can the Farm and Rural Legal Service represent me in court?
The Farm and Rural Legal Service lawyer can't represent producers in legal proceedings before the courts.
What is the cost?
The Farm and Rural Legal Service is free of charge to Queensland rural producers. No means or merit tests apply.
How do I contact the Farm and Rural Legal Service?
The Farm and Rural Legal Service lawyer is based at Legal Aid Queensland's Brisbane office and travels throughout the state. During the 2015-16 financial year the Farm and Rural Legal Service will also offer legal help through 3 private law firms in central and north Queensland.
For more information please contact Legal Aid Queensland on 1300 65 11 88.
Need help sorting out a dispute with a mining or gas company?
Legal Aid Queensland has a telephone information, initial advice and referral service for landholders contacted by mining or gas companies.