Main Content Anchor

After the decision is made

If the tribunal orders the respondent to pay the debt (in whole or in part) but they do not follow the order, you can enforce the order in the Magistrates Court.

You need to lodge in the magistrates court a copy of the decision that has been made by QCAT and an affidavit about the amount still owing. If any money has already been paid off the amount owing under the judgment, you will need to tell the court about that in the affidavit.

Once you have filed these documents in the Magistrates Court the decision is taken to be an order of the Magistrates Court and can be enforced in the same way as an order of the Magistrates Court.

You will need to seek legal advice about enforcement.


Before you can appeal a civil dispute decision of QCAT you must ask for permission from the internal appeal tribunal of QCAT to appeal the decision. To ask for permission you will need to submit a Form 39 – Application for leave to appeal or appeal. You can get a copy of this form from the QCAT registry or you can download it from the QCAT website. A fee may apply for this application.

You should get legal advice before appealing any decision.

Back to top