Main Content Anchor

How can this guide help me?

This guide can help you if you’ve experienced domestic or family violence and want to get a domestic violence order or learn more about your rights.

Do I need to get legal advice?

Yes. You should get legal advice before starting the process to get a domestic violence order. A lawyer can help you understand the process and the steps you need to take to get a domestic violence order. They can also give you information and advice that is specific to your circumstances.

How can I get legal advice?

You can get legal advice from:

  • Legal Aid Queensland – call 1300 65 11 88 (for the cost of a local call from a landline in Australia) for free legal advice
  • a community legal centre – go to or or call 1300 65 11 88 to check services in your area
  • a private lawyer – call the Queensland Law Society or visit for names of lawyers who can help.

The person who wants protection is called the “aggrieved”. The person alleged to have committed domestic violence is called the “respondent”. We will use these terms throughout this guide.

Back to top