Main Content Anchor

When disaster strikes cyclones, storms and floods—a guide to getting your insurance claim paid

This guide is designed to help Queenslanders with their insurance claims after a storm, cyclone or flood. This guide provides advice on home building and contents insurance policies; it doesn’t provide advice on other types of insurance such as motor vehicle insurance policies.

Download print version(PDF, 2MB)


Please note: this publication is only available online. 

Please note:
For a period of 12 months starting 1 July 2019, the Australian Financial Complaints Authority’s (AFCA) jurisdiction will be expanded to allow them to consider previously unheard disputes falling within its terms of reference relating to conduct dating back to 1 January 2008.

This handbook has been written to help those affected by flooding and cyclones in Queensland during summer 2010/2011 and is intended to provide information only. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice from a lawyer.

Legal Aid Queensland believes the information provided in this guide is accurate as at March 2011 and does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.

What if English is my second language?
If you would like this publication explained in your language, you can contact us through the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 1450. TIS will organise an interpreter in your language and will connect you to Legal Aid Queensland. This is a confidential and free service.

This handbook has been produced with help from: Legal Aid NSW, in particular David Coorey; Insurance Law Service (NSW); Consumer Credit Legal Service (NSW); the collaborative Victorian authors of the Bushfire Legal Handbook, June 2009; Paul Watson, (Insurance and Superannuation), Maurice Blackburn Lawyers; John Berrill, (Principal, Head of Insurance),

Last updated 28 June 2019

Back to top