Main Content Anchor

If someone claims against you

What if I am responsible for the accident but can’t pay for the repairs?

If the other driver’s insurance company is asking you to pay for the repairs but you can’t afford to, you may be able to negotiate a payment plan that suits your financial situation. The law says insurers have to give people options for paying repair costs after the accident if they are experiencing financial hardship.

Your options could include:

  • paying the amount owed over a longer period of time
  • reducing the amount you have to pay each fortnight or month to an amount you can afford
  • putting payments off for an agreed period of time until you are back on your feet financially
  • agreeing on a reduced amount to be paid by a lump sum in full and final settlement of the insurer’s claim.

A financial counsellor can help you plan a payment schedule. For more information about free financial counselling services, call the Financial Counsellor’s Association of Queensland on 1800 007 007.

If the other driver does not have insurance, you can still try to negotiate to pay the amount over time.

Last updated 12 May 2021

Back to top