Main Content Anchor

When disaster strikes cyclones, storms and floods—a guide to getting your insurance claim paid

This guide is designed to help Queenslanders with their insurance claims after a storm, cyclone or flood. This guide provides advice on home building and contents insurance policies; it doesn’t provide advice on other types of insurance such as motor vehicle insurance policies.

Download print version(PDF, 489KB)


Please note: this publication is only available online. 

This guide is intended to provide you with information only. If you have a legal problem, you should get legal advice from a lawyer. Legal Aid Queensland believes the information provided is accurate as at March 2022 and does not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions.

What if English is my second language?
We are committed to providing accessible services to Queenslanders from all culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. If you would like this publication explained in your language, please telephone the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50 to speak to an interpreter. Ask them to connect you to Legal Aid Queensland. This is a free service.

This handbook has been produced with help from: Legal Aid NSW, in particular David Coorey; Insurance Law Service (NSW); Consumer Credit Legal Service (NSW); the collaborative Victorian authors of the Bushfire Legal Handbook, June 2009; Paul Watson, (Insurance and Superannuation), Maurice Blackburn Lawyers; John Berrill, (Principal, Head of Insurance),

Last updated 22 March 2022

Back to top