Main Content Anchor

What if I am not insured or underinsured?

I am underinsured. Is there anything I can do?

If you cannot afford the costs to rebuild, and the sum insured was decided by your insurer, mortgage company or other financial institution, you may have a case for complaint against that institution for giving you inappropriate advice. Get legal advice about this. You may also be able to get financial help from the government. This may cover the difference between the replacement cost of your home and the sum you were insured for.

I forgot or did not pay my insurance premium. What can I do?

Usually, if your policy has not been renewed or you have not paid the premium, you will not be able to make a claim. Your insurer must let you know in writing that your policy is about to finish (lapse) at least 14 days before it does. If your insurer did not do this, and you did not renew your policy, the policy will go on as if you had renewed the policy for the period of the original policy.

If your policy has lapsed recently and you have been a longterm customer of the insurer, you can ask that your insurance be continued for special reasons. This might include if you had the policy in place for many years and you had reasons that made you forget to renew your policy. Usually, however, you are not able to make a claim.

I want to make sure my property is properly insured from now on. Which cover should I choose?

If you choose a replacement policy, this will cover the cost to rebuild. You will not be underinsured if you were to lose your house in a future disaster. If you choose a “sum insured” or “sum insured and replacement/additional amount” policy for a specific amount of money, this may not be enough to cover rebuilding if you were to lose your house again.

Last updated 22 March 2022

Back to top