Main Content Anchor

Letters of support

Arrange to get letters from people who can support your application. Copies of your letters of support need to be exhibited to your 'affidavit'. Each exhibit must have an exhibit marking attached. See the sample Exhibit marking(PDF, 21KB). Take the original letters with you to court on the day the application is heard.

Surety - Ask your surety to write a letter to the court confirming their offer of surety.

The letter should include:

  • How much they are offering as surety.
  • Proof that they can afford this amount.
  • A statement showing they understand that they lose the money if you fail to appear in court at the next scheduled time.
  • A statement showing they know of the charges you are facing.

Employment - If someone has offered you a job, arrange for that person to write a letter of confirmation. The letter should include:

  • Whether you have worked there before.
  • What work you will be doing.
  • Whether the position is permanent or casual.
  • The hours and days of the week you will be working.

Residence - Get a letter from the person you will be living with confirming the details in your 'affidavit'. This person should also state that they are aware of your charges, their relationship to you and whether they are willing to report any breaches of bail to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Medical condition - If you have a medical condition and feel you cannot be treated properly while on remand, get a doctor’s letter detailing your medical history/condition and the name of your regular doctor. If you have access to a more detailed report, you can hand it to the judge at the your bail application hearing.

Drug/alcohol rehabilitation - It may help your application if you are on, or would like to join, a rehabilitation program for drug or alcohol abuse, which would continue while you are on bail. Some programs offer live-in accommodation to people on bail. If you are prepared to reside at a drug/alcohol rehabilitation centre as a condition of your bail ask the drug and alcohol counsellor at your centre to arrange an assessment. Once you have been assessed as suitable for a live-in program, ask the rehabilitation centre to provide written confirmation, which you can provide to the court.

Back to top