Main Content Anchor

Where to go for help?

Legal Aid Queensland

Legal information and publications
Legal Aid Queensland produces free publications about family law. Some of these are available in languages other than English. To order Legal Aid Queensland publications:

Legal advice
You can get free legal advice by calling 1300 65 11 88.

Dispute resolution
You are always encouraged to try to sort out your family law dispute before, during or after you go to court. You may be eligible to apply for legal aid to attend a family dispute resolution conference run by Legal Aid Queensland, where trained professionals can help people reach their own agreements. For more information, call 1300 65 11 88.

Other legal services

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service
Visit or call (07) 3025 3888.

Community legal centres
Visit or call 1300 65 11 88 to find services in your area.

Private solicitors
Visit or call the Queensland Law Society on (07) 3842 5842 for names of solicitors who specialise or who are accredited in family law.

Federal Circuit Court of Australia
Visit or call 1300 352 000.

Family Court of Australia
Visit or call 1300 352 000.

Magistrates courts
Look in the White Pages under “Queensland Courts” for your local court or visit

Other support services

DV Connect — Womensline
Visit or call 1800 811 811 (24 hours a day, seven days a week).

DV Connect — Mensline
Visit or call 1800 600 636 (seven days a week).

Immigrant Women’s Support Service
Visit or call (07) 3846 3490 (Domestic Violence Program) or (07) 3846 5400 (Sexual Assault Program).

Relationships Australia
This organisation also offers counselling and family dispute resolution. Visit or call 1300 364 277.

Family Relationship Services
The government’s Family Relationship Services provide online information, drop-in centres and a free telephone advice line. You can access a wide range of services, including family dispute resolution through these organisations.

Visit or call the Family Relationship Advice Line on 1800 050 321.

Call 13 61 50 (Family Assistance Office) or 131 202 (Multilingual Line).

Department of Human Services (Child Support)
Visit or call 131 272

Department of Communities – Child Safety and Disability Services
Visit or call 13 74 68

Emergency services

Police (emergency)
Call 000

Back to top