Get a lawyer to represent you

If you want a lawyer to represent you in your ongoing case, you will need to apply for a grant of legal aid.

You should get legal advice before you apply for legal aid. Call 1300 65 11 88 or call our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Information Line on 1300 65 01 43 for more information.

Find out which problems we can and can’t help you with.

To get a grant of legal aid, you must:

  • be financially eligible under our means test
  • have a legal problem that meets our guidelines, which are based on the priorities set for us by government
  • meet our merits test.

You can apply for a grant of legal aid through a private lawyer who does legal aid work or directly to Legal Aid Queensland.

Get an application form by:

You can use the client authority form(PDF, 147KB) to authorise another person to communicate with us about your application.

Download an electronic Legal Aid application form

We recommend using a computer (desktop or laptop) to complete this form.

  • Save the form to your computer before starting to fill it out for the most reliable experience.
  • Make sure your device has Adobe Acrobat or Acrobat Reader/Acrobat DC installed. This can be downloaded free-of-charge from the Adobe website. You may be unable to complete this form without this software.
  • You will need to attach supporting documents when emailing your completed application form. Please read the checklist on the first page of the application form for details.
  • Download the Legal Aid application form(PDF, 539KB).
  • If you need to convert a file to PDF to include in your application, you can use Adobe’s Free online PDF conversion tool.

Read our information privacy and conflict of interest statement for what we do with your confidential information.

Last updated 8 February 2024