Main Content Anchor
The LawRight Mental Health Law Practice (MHLP) provides free legal advice and assistance to people with mental illness or impacted by mental health law who cannot afford a private lawyer.
To access the MHLP, clients should call LawRight on (07) 3846 6317 and ask to be referred to the MHLP. We will prioritise inpatients and callers with upcoming hearings at the Mental Health Review Tribunal.
Mental Health Act issues
The MHLP provides direct advice to clients on issues arising under the Mental Health Act including:
- Involuntary treatment orders (ITOs)
- Electro-Convulsive Therapy (ECT) applications
- Justices Examination Orders, and
- Other legal issues arising out of mental illness.
This service is mainly conducted by telephone and through written advice. We also conduct a fortnightly face-to-face outreach service at the Princess Alexandra Hospital. You can ask hospital staff to book an appointment for you or call us on the above number to book an appointment.
The MHLP also coordinates a free advocacy service, which provides assistance and advocacy to clients with ITO and ECT hearings in the Mental Health Review Tribunal. Generally, we need at least 7 days notice to arrange an advocate to assist with an ITO review hearing.
Unfortunately, we are not able to assist with forensic orders and related issues at this time. Please contact Queensland Advocacy Incorporated for assistance with these issues.
Who We Cannot Help
- Police officers, ambulance officers, psychiatrists, nurses or community workers who are seeking information about how to make an Emergency Examination Order or any other mental health law issue relating to their employment in the mental health sector.
- Family, friends or community workers on behalf of patients who are able to provide us with direct instructions or who are seeking information about how to apply for a Justices Examination Order.
Civil law issues
Depending on capacity, the MHLP may be able to assist or refer people with a mental illness who have a civil law issue to one of our Mental Health Civil Law Clinic (MHCLC).
Our MHCLC currently operates at Open Minds in Woolloongabba (fortnightly on Tuesdays between 11.30am-1.30pm) and at Footprints in West End (monthly on Wednesdays between 10-11.30am).