Main Content Anchor
The National Debt Helpline is a not-for-profit service that helps people tackle their debt problems. Their professional financial counsellors offer a free, independent and confidential service.
Financial counsellors assist you by:
- doing a full assessment of your financial situation to help you fully understand your position
- providing advice on how to negotiate with your creditors, government agencies or other business providers
- negotiating directly with your creditors in certain circumstances
- providing advice about what options, rights and responsibilities you may have
- referring you to other services you may need, such as legal services, crisis food and accommodation services, and health services.
Financial counsellors can provide information and advice about:
- credit and debt-related matters
- the rights of debtors
- the pros and cons of bankruptcy
- working out a realistic payment plan for debts
- how to access other specialist support services, including gambling, family support, personal counselling, legal aid and emergency relief.