Main Content Anchor
The Mental Health Legal Service (MHLS) is a specialist legal service dedicated to providing free legal assistance in relation to mental health law in Queensland, primarily around involuntary treatment.
The MHLS may assist with:
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Treatment Authorities (formerly known as Involuntary Treatment Orders)
- Forensic Orders
- Forensic Orders (Disability)
- Treatment Support Orders
- Patient transfers
- Confidentiality orders
- Mental Health Review Tribunal (MHRT) hearings
- Advance Health Directives
The MHLS can only assist people who are subject to involuntary treatment, or have possible matters arising, under the Mental Health Act.
Priority for assistance is given to people who are in-patients.
The MHLS is a Brisbane-based service, unless effective assistance can be provided by telephone.