Main Content Anchor

Get a lawyer to represent you

If you want a lawyer to represent you, you will need to apply for legal aid. Before you apply, we recommend getting legal advice.

To get a grant of legal aid, you must:

  • be financially eligible under our means test
  • have a legal problem which meets our guidelines, which are based on the priorities set for us by government
  • meet our merits test

You can apply for a grant of aid through a private lawyer who does legal aid work  or directly to Legal Aid Queensland.

How to get an application form:

  • Download an LAQ application form from the documents section (at the bottom of this page)
  • from one of our 14 offices
  • Email LAQ application form—include your name and address so a form can be sent out to you
  • by calling 1300 65 11 88 and asking for one to be mailed to you.

You can use the client authority form(PDF, 147KB) to authorise another person to communicate with us about your application.

You can also contact a private lawyer who does legal aid work and ask them to help you complete an application.

Related Links & Information

Last updated 26 November 2020

Back to top