Information about lawyers

We don't give advice about this area of law

The following content is for general purposes only. Legal Aid Queensland does not provide legal advice in this area.

You can get legal help, depending on the nature of the problem from a lawyer in a private practice, a community legal centre or Legal Aid Queensland.

If you need a private lawyer you can:

  • speak to family, friends and business associates
  • contact the Queensland Law Society
  • refer to the advertisements in the local newspaper
  • refer to the Yellow Pages.

When you've chosen a lawyer, you should ask about whether there are any costs for the first appointment, as some lawyers may offer this for free, while others may charge a fixed fee.

The Queensland Law Society has information about using a lawyer for the first time.

The Bar Association of Queensland has a barrister referral service and has information about a barrister's role, dispute resolution, and mediation services for complaints about barristers' conduct.

If you have a dispute with your lawyer about costs or their conduct, it's best to try and resolve it directly with your lawyer. However, if you can't resolve these problems and want to make a complaint, the Legal Services Commission may be able to help. The commission deals with complaints about lawyers including professional misconduct and unsatisfactory professional conduct. There are strict timeframes for making a complaint.

Serious complaints may be referred to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

We don't give legal advice about costs agreements, fees and conduct, and we can't give second opinions about individual lawyers.

Last updated 7 September 2022