Main Content Anchor

Building a house

We don't give legal advice about this area of law.

The information below may help you to resolve your matter or find out who else can help.

If you’re building or renovating your home the Queensland Building and Construction Commission has information about how to plan and manage your building project.

If you have a dispute with a builder or trader, you may be able to get help from the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) and Master Builders Queensland complaints and mediation services.

If the matter still isn’t resolved, you may be able to make a claim in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)

You should get private legal advice.

The Queensland Government website also has a range of information about what services and help is available for matters relating to homes and housing

Do I need legal advice?

You may need legal advice if you:

  • are considering signing a contract for building work
  • have questions about a building contract
  • have been unable to resolve a dispute with a builder or tradesperson and are thinking about ending a contract or applying to QCAT.

How to get legal advice

We don’t give legal advice about residential or commercial building work, building contracts or building disputes. You should get private legal advice.

Queensland Law Society can refer you to a specialist private lawyer for advice or representation.

Who else can help?

These organisations may be able to help. They don’t give legal advice.

Queensland Building and Construction Commission gives information about home building; responds to consumer complaints about defective building work and offers a dispute resolution service.

Master Builders Queensland deals with complaints about building work done by members of the association. They offer dispute management including conferences, mediation and arbitration.

Queensland Building and Construction Commission issues plumbing and drainage licences, investigates complaints about licensed or unlicensed plumbing work and has authority to discipline plumbing licensees for carrying out work not following the relevant technical standards or that is in breach of their licence.

Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy gives information on topics including plumbing and building, sustainable housing, decks and balconies, pool and fire safety.

Related Links & Information

Last updated 29 September 2022

Back to top